We’ve all heard how important it is to behave “professionally” in the work place and if you want to get ahead, be taken seriously, and have your boss think of you as an asset to the team –doing things in a professional way is vital, but depending on where you work and the type of job you have, this can take on many different forms.
There are, however, quite a few common traits when it comes to being professional. And according to the monster career coach-This includes the following:
1.Competence. You’re good at what you do – and you have the skills and knowledge that enable you to do your job well.
2. Reliability. People can depend on you to show up on time, submit your work when it’s supposed to be ready, etc.
3. Honesty. You tell the truth and are upfront about where things stand.
4. Integrity. You are known for your consistent principles.
5. Respect for Others. Treating all people as if they mattered is part of your approach.
6. Self-Upgrading. Rather than letting your skills or knowledge become outdated, you seek out ways of staying current.
7. Being Positive. No one likes a constant pessimist. Having an upbeat attitude and trying to be a problem-solver makes a big difference.
8. Supporting Others. You share the spotlight with colleagues, take time to show others how to do things properly, and lend an ear when necessary.
9. Staying Work-Focused. Not letting your private life needlessly have an impact on your job, and not spending time at work attending to personal matters.
10. Listening Carefully. People want to be heard, so you give people a chance to explain their ideas properly.
Acting like a professional really means doing what it takes to make others think of you as reliable, respectful, and competent, and the more you put into practice the 10 points listed above, the better your chances will be to create a positive reputation for yourself which translates into raises, promotions, chances to work on projects you have an interest in, and the less likelihood of being downsized when layoffs are being considered.