I saw something the other day that made me want to write about appearance. It was so scary. I just couldn’t believe it. I personally think it’s a tired old subject, but some folks out there really don’t understand how important appearance really is.
Some great guiding principles are:
- Keep a Neat Appearance – You want to look clean, neat and crisp. Don’t look like you just rolled out of bed.
- Overdress - It’s always better to overdress for an interview then to under dress. You can never go wrong with classic pieces such as button-down shirts. Purchasing wrinkle free material will also help make you look crisp.
- Look at Your Feet – Nothing can ruin a look like a pair of dingy shoes. Also, make sure your shoes are comfortable and clean.
- Wear Clothes that Fit – Clothes that are too short, too long, too baggy or too tight make you look less then professional.
- Details, Details, Details – Scuffed shoes and chipped nails are a no-no. Jewelry can either add to your look or take away from it.
Whether you really want the job or not, you want to show up to the interview looking like you do. Remember the interviewer will believe that the way you look at the interview will be the best you will ever look on the job.